Monday, February 02, 2009

On A Mission

It had been a long time since I had gone on a hike, and I had been itching for a nice time in the wilderness. This trip to the bay area seemed like a good opportunity to get some hiking done. Getting friends around here to join me turned out to be quite tough. I was therefore thinking of doing a hike alone- something I had done a long time back- almost 7 years ago. Finally, a couple of days worth of frustration, caused by a freak online stalker, pushed me over the edge on Saturday morning, and I concluded that a good hike was the only way to get over my sinking spirits.

I decided to hike up Mission Peak in Fremont- a trail I had done with a friend, about 6 years back. As I set out on the hike, I knew exactly why I was impressed with this hike the last time around. The vistas were just excellent. The elevation gain of about 2200 feet is quite obvious in the kind of scenes you see on the way up. You get a view of the entire bay area below you and the nearby mountains, as you ascend the peak. The 2.8 mile trail is a moderately difficult one, with a continuous upslope, without a single respite. The trail is entirely worth the strain on the muscles, and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone interested in hiking.

I reached the summit in about a couple of hours, and estimated that I could get down to the trailhead in about an hour. This left me plenty of time to enjoy the scenery around, to eat my packed lunch, to read a book, as well as to watch a couple of paragliders take off and glide down the hills. And to regain my lost enthusiasm..

By the time I had made it down to the trailhead, I had successfully accomplished my mission of cheering myself up. I am not certain whether this was due to the beautiful vistas, or the thrill of ascending a challenging peak, or the unique charm of a solo hike, or the contemplative nature of the hike, or the fulfillment of some not-so-obvious desire somewhere within, to assert myself as an independent woman after reading a couple of books about stories of women oppression in Afghanistan, Iran etc. The sum total of it all was that I had a wonderful time hiking up Mission Peak, alone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Satish said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:02:00 PM  
Blogger Satish said...

online stalker? that should make it to the next blog entry :)

Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:05:00 PM  
Blogger Sai G said...

Mission peak.. next time you visit, ping me up.. One of the hikes in the BA that's close to my heart. And this (Spring) is especially a beautiful time to visit (Other seasons that are especially beautiful or Fall, winter and summer ;-)). Online stalker.. ouch! will hear more when we meet @ Miku's. Yes, a brisk hike and a clean air is exactly what the doctor would prescribe!

Sunday, February 22, 2009 2:40:00 AM  
Blogger Pradnya said...

Yup, we should defi do Mission Peak the next time around. This time, all the newborns were way too small. Miku and Gaurav said they are up for the hike as well.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 8:44:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home